Tuesday 3 July 2012

Why I Am Taking Sex Workers Off The Streets - JENNIFER ELIOGU

Story By JOHNSON OKPUSA OBASI
 Nollywood  star actress, Jennifer Eliogu  has taken the bold step to form a non governmental organisation called IDEAS the aim of which is to take commercial sex workers off the streets. in a recent media chat, the beautiful and plump actress explain the ideas behind IDEAS.

 
According to her "IDEAS is an acronym that stands for Initiative for Development, Empowerment and Absolute Stability. It is a non-governmental organisation. We do everything we can to help humanity. It is not about a particular ailment. We deal with the youths, women, children and try to help in any way that we can. Over the years, we had organised a couple of events for the youths where we bring them together and try to talk to ourselves, en-courage and empower ourselves with words and advices. We talk to one another; it’s like an interactive session where you are able to pour out your mind, your heart. And then we are able to bring experts who advise and counsel."


Running such an NGO does not go without some challenges as the star actress explained "When I convince you to leave the street, I try to get you something to do. I try to attach you to a fashion house if it is fashion designing you have a flair for. If it is hairdressing, we look for hairdressing salon to take you. Let me tell you, it is not easy to let them off the street because, number one, when you are talking to them they are looking at you like ‘oh no be you actress, ehn because you have made money’? They don’t know money didn’t come overnight. So, I talk to them based on my life experiences, I talk to them based on what I have heard and seen," she stated.

No comments:

Post a Comment